Subject: [Leica] GIMP shortcomings
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 16:38:19 -0400 (EDT)

Sue Ryan writes:
GIMP only functions when using jpegs, or used to. My son-in-law uses it
but I don't know how old his version is.

- - - -
Sue,
So far you are right. You have to use a stand alone converter or plug
in to go from RAW to JPEG or TIFF.
Traditionally UFRaw has been the plug-in for processing RAW files, It
is essentially a stand-alone application that has fairly good
integration with GIMP (It knows how to pass images directly into GIMP
once RAW processing is complete.
My older version of GIMP (2.8) only processes images in 8-bit color
depth, so you are advised to do as much as you can with your RAW
processor of choice before importing into GIMP. I have been told that
newer versions are in development which will address these
shortcomings. Still FREE however.
Larry Z