Subject: [Leica] IMG: Dune View
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 19:22:53 -0500

Yes.  Probably one of the best workshops I attended was a printing
workshop with John Sexton.  As he put it, don't be suckered in by the
high contrast.  Obviously, he was able to find a happy medium. So was
Ansel.  His prints have really black blacks, but you don't get the sense
of an unusually high contrast.  I do think the second print models the
dunes somewhat better, but then I would be happy with either one.  Or
really really happy if I had taken it myself.

Ken

On 7/14/2014 6:39 PM, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
> This is maybe a worthwhile discussion (on versions preferred). Of course
> there is no one correct answer. Contrast though is a seductive mistress and
> so is bright colour or anything that adds impact really. If you are editing
> for an extended period it is easy to start adding more and more 'wow'. That
> may or may not be a good thing.
> Even Ansel Adams had to deal with this and I recall reading of a period of
> printing where he went back later and said 'what was I thinking"
> My preference in this lovely photograph is for the original.
>
> I found a quote on this!
>
> 'No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or
> produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their
> perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit.'
> Read more at
> http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/ansel_adams.html#CkStrzT31dHALmCS.99
>

> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

> On 15 July 2014 09:22, Ken Carney <kcarney1 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> The higher contrast version for me.  But, to be thorough, why don't you
>> send me a 50" print of both and I will take the time necessary to be sure.
>>
>> Ken
>> On 7/14/2014 1:22 AM, Robert Adler wrote:
>>
>>> Gene (and anyone).
>>> I've added a new, higher contrast version on the blog below the original.
>>> Thoughts?
>>> http://www.robertadlerphotography.com/blog/2014/7/oceano-dunes
>>> Thanks,