Subject: [Leica] Monochrom and Lightroom, my workflow
From: leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:57:25 -0700

My take on processing images taken with a Leica Monochrom using Lightroom.

First off, a caution. This is currently how I work with Monochrom files
and Adobe Lightroom 5.6.
It works for me.
Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, contents may settle in
shipping.

I start with the camera. Shortly after I rec?d it, I did some testing
with a color checker card under controlled conditions. I wanted to see
what the tonal response of the sensor was in comparison to the 4x5 films
I had been most familiar with back in the day.
I found that the use of a light yellow filter, a #8 Wratten, gave a
tonal response that matched extremely close to Ilford FP4+ sheet film
developed in my favorite developer.
So I started using a #8 yellow filter on my lenses all the time.
Indoors, outdoors, nighttime; it never comes off, unless I use a darker
one or a different color.
I also have had a habit, with Leica cameras, of metering on something
equivalent to Zone V (middle) gray, setting the shutter value, and
recomposing, rather than relying on the meter to know what I want.
The Monochrom is sensitive to highlight clipping; and there is no
getting any detail back if it happens. So I am very sensitive of the
highlights but I didn?t want to be looking at the lcd and histogram
after every shot hoping that I didn?t overexpose.
My recent solution to that?
Simple. I set the camera to always underexpose by 2/3 stop.
This works because you can raise the shadows as much as you need in post
processing without any degradation (that I can see, anyway), and gives
you very detailed highlights, within the limits of the contrast levels
in the scene of course.

Lightroom.
I like Lightroom. I?d probably like other programs just as well but it
was what I had and is very intuitive to me since I?d been using
Photoshop for so many years.

I use it backwards, though. ;-)
Contrary to accepted books and tutorials, here is my standard post
processing workflow:

When I import an image I let Lightroom apply the standard +25 import
sharpening but do no other import adjustments. The main reason for this
is that I want to see what every adjustment does to the image; not guess
that blanket settings will work with this particular image. A little
more work but then I?m not dealing with thousands of images a week.

In the Develop module I start in Lens Corrections and apply the lens
profile and then do any manual distortion corrections and rotation I
feel is necessary.

Then to Detail where I will raise the default sharpening to between 35
and 50, and apply any noise reduction if a high iso has been used.

Then up to Tone Curve and change the Point Curve to Medium Contrast.

Then I will use the Spot Remover with Clone / Heal as necessary to
remove dust or other distracting elements I deem unnecessary.

Now to the Basic panel, when I first apply +25 to Clarity. Then I hit
the Auto and see what Lightroom thinks my photo should look like. The
vast majority of the time it is wrong.
So I?ll start adjusting everything to where I want.
*A note here regarding my ? 2/3 exposure compensation: One can raise the
blacks and shadows of a Monochrom image by 2 or 3 full stops without
harm. Try it.

After that, it is onto the Graduated and Radial Filters and / or the
Adjustment Brush for any local burning, dodging, sharpness, etc. necessary.

Next is cropping, if desired.

Finally I may add a little vignette using the Effects panel.

Export.

At that time, I will usually live with the image for a week or so,
looking at it several times a day or making a copy my desktop
background. After that the image is rejected, reworked in Lightroom, or
posted to the web gallery, whichever is appropriate.

Comments are welcome.

Replies: Reply from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Monochrom and Lightroom, my workflow)