Subject: [Leica] Alternative to the Monochrom
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 03:58:13 -0500

On Sep 20, 2014, at 1:12 AM, Ted Grant wrote:

> Or through the view finder you view our natural colour world... but on the
> back screen you have a black & white image???????
>
> If it doesn't let you see in B&W through the view finder? Heck why waste
> your money buying one of those when just a few hundred dollars you can have
> a magical machine that allows you to see your photo as  a pure
> B&W............. BEFORE YOU GO CLICK!
>
> SO BIG DEAL ON ANY MONO LEICA! Heck it doesn't allow you to see how your
> potentially beautiful B&W shot looks before you go CLICK!!  I think there
> might be a few interesting responses on this???????

I use the Leica M (240) with the EVF set to Black and White
in order to have the most contrast for focusing with focus assist 'red'
against the grays.
So yes on that camera I'm seeing the color world in black and white in the
view finder.

The Leica M Monochrom is just like an M2, 3, 4, 5, 6, with black and white
film in it.
You see the color world in the range finder;
and the image is seen on screens as only black and white;
can never get the color back into the image;
except for hand coloring.

I suppose you could shoot through separation filters
and cobble together a color image with stacking; dye transfer printing.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog