Subject: [Leica] Digital M product no breakdown
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:08:21 -0400

We can't compare the model changes in the film days between an M2 and and an
M3 and an M4. Because if you were still shooting Tri X in Rodinal 1:100 your
image quality came out the same. Nobody knew you'd change camera bodies who
cares?!?
But in the present situation with ditgail cameras when we move from M8 to M9
to M 240 the cameras in effect have radically different films in them with
radically different developers and dilutions.  Its an image quality issue
not the film rewind switch is lever not a button issue.
So even an incremental upgrade can make for final images which a difference
you can see. The Mp digital has a buffer twice the size. So what's the
analogy there? You get more shots on a burst and can now not have to shoot
in anything resembling a forced leisurely fashion. Another way of saying we
can shoot just as fast as the DSLR guys and not pretend there is some
advantage to doing otherwise slower. An that's better image quality though
less directly. You can just shoot. No waits. Not a small thing.
The result is a camera which get used on top photojournalistic assignments
and gets used for all kinds of magazine work both editorial and ads.
So when we spend seven grand on an M instead of a Canon or Nikon body we are
in good company and not feeling like some kinds of rich esoteric idiot.
An M6 was used by everybody. Not so the M8 and 9.
I think we are going to find we are back in business on that regard with the
cameras Leica is making now. This is not small news.

When a digital camera is upgraded there is far more a reason now to invest
in it than there was before in the film age.