Subject: [Leica] Hong Kong & Shanghai
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:59:15 -0700

Hi folks, I understand that some of you have good luck photographing
Chinese in HK and China. China IS HUGE, so there are bound to be more
varied reactions, and certainly with the cellphones, lots of people take
their own selfies. However, I will like to raise a few points, NONE OF THEM
SHOULD STOP you from continuing to do what you are doing before: Chinese
are particularly sensitive if you take them in situations where they are in
less than stellar situations. For example, Jayanand's trying to take
playing mah joh is one of them. That would be showing them as gambling - a
vice, even if they do engage in the activities every chance they get and
there is nothing illegal per se. Showing people loitering around when they
should be working (i.e. if they are in some kind of uniforms) is another.
Another big non-no is inside temples. Between 2007 and 2014, the HK temples
already changed their policies quite a lot (because of cell phones?) and
it's now mostly "it's OK to photograph 'things' just not people."

Finally, there may be very subtle body languages that tell you they really
hate what you are doing, but that signals might be lost to non-Chinese.

Again, keep on photographing, because I will do the same myself, but just
trying to give some info.

--
// http://facebook.com/richardmanphoto
// https://www.facebook.com/Transformations.CosplayPortraits