Subject: [Leica] Ten years ago today
From: johnbeeching at gmail.com (John Beeching)
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 15:52:08 +0000

Dear Nathan,

A very moving story, which made me remember my father.  He joined the Party
while still at school, joined up to fight fascism never expecting to
survive, refused to become an officer and finally left the Party after
Hungary.  Nevertheless, his heart was always with the working class and the
oppressed.  After the war his life was one of a bohemian writer who lived
in more countries than most people have hot dinners.  While his life may
have been unconventional and he did sacrifice others along he way, he was
always true to his beliefs. I was born in '51 and my childhood was one of
material poverty but intellectual richness.  It was only later in life,
when we could spar intellectually over much wine, that I came most to
respect and understand him - in fact we could converse in a kind shorthand,
which no one else could understand, for we knew each other's thought
processes so well.  For a long time after his death I carried on having
conversations with him in my head (it felt as if I had no one else I could
really talk to) and, on the anniversary of his death I always pour two
glasses of whisky, which he was not supposed to drink towards the end, but
we always used to when I visited him in Spain, and drink to his memory.  I
named my youngest son, who was born a few weeks before his death and he
never met, Jack, after him.
http://jacketmagazine.com/26/beech-l-w.html

John