Subject: [Leica] The Great Wall of China
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:48:03 +0530

So I come to the last day of our trip, with a visit to the Mu Tian Yu
section of Great Wall of China which is 70 km from Beijing. It is a
beautifully restored section of the wall running along a mountain ridge,
and is accessed via a cable car. Why an Emperor, however paranoid, would
build a huge defensive wall on top of a very steep mountain ridge is beyond
me, but there it is! A last observation is that it makes sense to do the
typical tourist circuit starting in Shanghai, and ending at Beijing,
because the quality of  the experience of the places visited increases, and
climaxes well in Xi'an followed by Beijing. The journey in the reverse
direction would be an anticlimax, I feel.

On our way, we visited a cloisonne factory on the outskirts of Beijing, and
had a tour of the place:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2828.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2821.jpg.html

The Great Wall of China, Mu Tian Yu Section. Even here, surprisingly, in
the countryside, with all the greenery, there were no birds to be seen or
heard:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2415.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2424.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2869.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2890.jpg.html

People on the wall:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2431.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2447.jpg.html

Two studies of a section of the wall - one a wider view than the other, and
with human content as well:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2884.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/China/China-20141020-2456.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] The Great Wall of China)
Reply from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] The Great Wall of China)