Subject: [Leica] See the Sony Sensor Dance!
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:59:33 +1000

Lew this is pretty common in many camera systems. Some have the function
built into the body so it will work with any lens and some lenses have
vibration reduction built in. The movement is intended to counteract an
unwanted shift, so in theory it is preserving, not cutting off any image
data.

The Leica systems don't do it because their approach is to position the
sensor at the focus plane as perfectly as possible, adjusted to a couple of
microns increments. So the sensor is intended to record exactly what went
in, if you like, not help compensate for imperfect conditions/technique.
None of the medium format systems use that sensor shifting either.
Different philosophies, which is not to say that each doesn't work.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman