Subject: [Leica] Erwin Puts
From: lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 02:28:35 +0100

Erwin Puts has posted this in facebook, I?ve copied and pasted, it was an
effort for me follow a long English text, but I find his opinion really
interesting. I don?t know what will appreciate the new generations with a
very different cultural basis than our traditions

"The current exhibition of iconic Leica pictures ?Augen auf? (?Eyes open?)
is in many respects a milestone. It shows in historic detail the rise of the
Leica camera from a niche product for cognoscenti to the inevitable tool for
the professional photographer, the camera that became a witness of the
century and specifically of the turmoil of city life. It is also a showcase
and may I add a testimony of the power of silver-halide Leica photography.
And here we see the other side of the coin. Leica in the digital age has
again become a niche product for the cognoscenti and a select group of
professionals. The exhibition shows that the role of the Leica has been
taken over or (more accurately) is on the verge of being taken over by the
smartphone. Current Leica images, made with a digital Leica camera are often
critically sharp, very confronting and often close-ups of socially
marginalized people. The sympathetic and humanistically sensitive eye of the
French documentary photographers is gone. Being ?critically sharp? is no
longer a standard feature of Leica photographs. Nor is the camera unique in
its compactness or unobtrusiveness or ease of use. These characteristics
today apply also to the smartphone or the mirrorless compact. In a sense
this is the ultimate proof that Barnack was right.
I am aware that many comments will focus on the quality of the lenses, the
quality of the material and the immaculate finish of the product as being
some of the main reasons to buy and/or use a Leica camera. We have to admit
on the other hand that Facebook and Youtube and all other media are great in
communication and even greater in democratization of the photograph. If
pixel-peepers would have existed in the heydays of the Leica photography
(1930 to 1980) hardly any picture would have been passed the test: they are
too grainy and show much less detail than could be observed at 200% at a
typical computer screen. It is really a pity that the evaluation of
photographs and the performance characteristics of lens/camera systems has
been usurped by a small band of short-sighted individuals and that the
masses follow their lead. I am and always will be an advocate for the
technical qualities of a picture, but define these qualities as tonality,
crispness of fine detail in the midtones, separation of highlight and shadow
detail and depth preservation. These are the characteristics that give a
picture its impact, perspective and allow for an accurate rendition of a
slice of reality. And these are the characteristics that were and are
cherished by Leica optical designers and camera engineers.
Leica for a very long time has been sitting at Olympic heights with the
implementation and improvement of these characteristics, but nowadays many
others have adopted the same view and Leica is no longer alone on the top of
this Olympic mountain.
Leica can with good justification claim that their lenses are still best of
class when the size is included in the equation, a fact that is hardly
appreciated by many reviewers.
We have to accept that in these days the Leica myth has more nostalgia than
future. The exhibition is a proof that the future is not a continuation of
the past and even Leica can not disregard the writing at the wall.?

Erwin Puts