Subject: [Leica] "Don't take my picture!"
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:18:09 -0800

OK, this is a new one. When I photograph "on the street," sometimes I get
the usual "don't take my pictures" request. No big deal, I honor those -
although Garry Winogrand famously said: "That's not YOUR picture, that's MY
picture" so there's that.

Anyway, here I was, fiddling around for minutes on my large format camera
to see if I can get a decent picture of the Guild Theater without cars etc.
Satisfied that the composition does not suck too badly, I came out of the
dark cloth looking for my light meter. Then a guy said (I saw him walking
toward me earlier): "Why did you take my picture?"

"Huh, excuse me?" (usually people are really curious about large format
camera so I thought may be he was just kidding) "Um, if you want your
picture, you can just shoot right here." (I was thoroughly confused
thinking that he's making a crack about this was "his shot")

Anyway, he repeated, "you don't have permissions to take my picture, my
face." I said, "no, I did not take your photo." And he huffily walked away.
Then it dawned on me that he really thought I had taken his picture, so I
shouted: "you are on a public street anyway!"

I almost added, "Why would I want to waste $5 worth of film on YOU?!" ha ha

--
// http://facebook.com/richardmanphoto
// https://www.facebook.com/Transformations.CosplayPortraits