Subject: [Leica] health
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 18:24:57 -0800

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Herbert Kanner <kanner at acm.org> wrote:

>> Since everyone regards LUG as family and reports their health issues, I'll
>> throw mine in. This won't be real short, because the details are
>> interesting.
>>
>> In 2001, my PSA jumped and I had the uncomfortable needle biopsy via
>> ass-hole. Of nine needles, one picked up a couple of millimeters of malign
>> cells which were pronounced to be aggressive. I then had many sessions of
>> what is misnamed "Intensity modulated radiation therapy". Actually what
>> happens is the source of the radiation rotates in a vertical plane around
>> the patient and during the rotation, the shape of the beam is modulated by
>> a diaphragm of tungsten fingers so as to always concentrate the radiation
>> on the desired site. One time, I was really scared because the treatment
>> was delated due to a computer crash, and when I asked what the computer
>> program was housed in, they said Windows 2000.
>>
>> Every year since, my PSA was checked and my prostate poked by the
>> radiation oncologist.
>>
>> A couple of months ago, I felt a sore muscle in my left thigh; I just
>> thought it was a pulled muscle, and Naproxen relieved it. But just one
>> day,
>> it was so sever that I was limping, so I thought it would be a good idea
>> go to my primary care quack and check it out. When she pulled my leg
>> outward, I yelled "ouch" and she ordered a hip X-ray to be done on my way
>> out.
>>
>> By the time I got home, there was a frightful message on my answering
>> machine. I was to go asap to the Stanford Hospital site in a neighboring
>> city (Redwood City) where an appointment had been set up for a CAT scan.
>> Then I was to drive straight to the Main Hospital at Stanford (Palo Alto)
>> and see the same radiation oncologist. Also they were setting up an
>> appointment, probably for the next day, for a radioactive bone scan.
>>
>> The radiation oncologist showed me the X-rays and Cat scans on his
>> computer screen. First there was a large lesion on my left femur. Then
>> there was a bunch of little dots in my lungs that were not there two years
>> ago. I said I was appalled. He said he was appalled. He then opined that
>> my
>> hip was about to break, that he checked that an orthopedic surgeon was
>> available on or immediately after the weekend, and that the quickest way
>> get admitted to the hospital was via the emergency room. He had his
>> resident wheel me there.
>>
>> Well, on the way in, the rent-a-cop confiscated my Swiss army knife, and
>> when it was apparent with a packed ER that I'd be there for a while, I got
>> around to phoning my wife. They were so packed that I had to wait until
>> there was a free bed.
>>
>> After the routine things, mainly a blood draw, an orthopedic guy showed
>> up. He said that there was no danger of a fracture, that I should go home
>> and have a normal weekend, and that an appointment had been made to see an
> [...]

hi Herb....I admit at first blush this doesn't seem good. Please don't make
any assumptions like others have.  Opinions are like assholes, everybody has
one....  What you need rather urgently is a tissue diagnosis, not an
assumption. Whether from the lung, or from the leg you likely need a biopsy
with full evaluation (actually the leg at first glance sounds like a safe
productive source)  so that you and the doctors know for sure exactly what
is going on, then the right things can be done.

I wish you the very best my friend, all good luck...

Steve

Message from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] health)