Subject: [Leica] Health
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Bryk Oliver)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 11:50:17 -0800

Cancer surely changes one's priorities and those of one's life companion. My
wife became a well informed case manager and  patient advocate. We recorded
every consultation on our iPhones.

I began prostate cancer treatment about a year ago. I won't go into the gory
details of the numerous diagnostic procedures that became necessary because
of euphemistically called "side effects" of the 45 radiation treatment
sessions, among them lymphedema; I wear compression stockings.

The effects of the hormone therapy (quarterly injections of Lupron, a drug
that suppresses the production of testosterone to near zero PSA) are
profound and include a condition often referred to as "post-menopausal" for
want of a term that applies to men.

Gone are the days when I could backpack for a week in the High Sierra at
altitudes above 10,000' with tripod, MF cameras and magazines, etc. etc. Now
I can barely walk a mile at sea level before running out of energy.

With the assistance of several well placed relatives and acquaintances I was
fortunate to be referred to one of the top urological oncologists in town.
My condition is currently stable and requires periodic follow-up.

I salute my fellow cancer patients and wish you less pain and suffering in
2015!

Oliver (born 1928)