Subject: [Leica] Kodaks and Rochester's decline in pictures
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:55:32 -0400 (EDT)

Jayanand,
Interesting and very true piece on Rochester. For several decades
Rochester was the center of the optical industry in the USA. Not only
Kodak but Haloid (now Xerox), Bausch and Lomb, and a number of other
optical companies were located in or near Rochester. Even before that
Rochester was a center of agriculture and was originally known as the
Flour City. The climate is hot in summer, cold in winter, and damp all
the time. The proximity to Lake Ontario produces deep drifts of "lake
effect" snow in frigid weather. The profitability of the optical
industry and the benevolence of it's owners pumped tons of money into
charitable institutions, hospitals, and education. Rochester often
rated high on the list of the best places to live in the USA.

I am biased, of course. I have relatives who live in the city and its
suburbs. Many of the horse racing pictures on my LUG gallery were taken
at the nearby Finger Lakes race track and two of my children went to
Cornell University. I was also a consultant (and a stockholder) of
Kodak. But Kodak's decline threw a wrench into the gears. Employment
dropped by nearly 75%. Beautiful homes are now cheap, probably the
lowest price in NY state. Film, the company's cash cow, was to provide
income for 20 years. Instead film sales dropped 90% in 7 years. And
this was the company that invented digital photography. Bad, bad
management judgment calls. Kodak's stock dropped from $88 per share to
bankruptcy levels. Even Kodak executives use their iPhones to take
pictures.

Leica, are you listening? The world is changing. See Jayanand's post
for pictorial details.

Larry Z

- - -
http://www.themorningnews.org/gallery/kodak-city