Subject: [Leica] MacBook Air and Lightroom for Africa trip
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 01:44:22 +0000

I had a 2011 13" MBA (4GB RAM, 256GB SSD) with external 750GB drive for five
weeks in Europe, usable with LR and had the original images on MBA, external
HDD and original SSD cards. I also have a 17" MBP and would not think of
travelling far with it ;-)

john

Next year I?m looking at doing a documentary trip to Africa with a college
group. My normal travel computer is a 17? MacBook Pro but it?s HUGE, on an
international trip it?s just not going to work, I think.

I have been very happy with my MacBook Air but the version I have only has 4
GB of RAM and a small solid state drive.

I?m wondering if anyone has experience with an MBA with 8 GB of RAM, the
larger SDD and an external Thunderbolt drive for use with editing photos on
the road.

I think I?ll have reasonable power. I?ll take about a zillion SD cards so I
don?t have to erase anything but I know I won?t keyword or annotate images
properly unless I do it the day I capture them.

So, if you have thoughts I?d appreciate it.

The alternative is a MacBook Pro 15? that I know will do the job. But it?s
almost twice as heavy.

Thanks!

Adam