Subject: [Leica] Winogrand: Another Retrospective Perspective
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 13:15:16 -0700

I like the concluding paragraph a lot:

"Something we've been missing also becomes evident here. The whole world is
now filled with incredible images--especially on Instagram and other social
networks--that owe something to Winogrand's, documenting life, change, and
all the rest. Yet the art world and museums are not. Instead they tend to
show oversize, very still pictures or images that investigate formal
properties and ideas of display and presentation. I love many of those
pictures, but what's happening online on social media deserves far more
serious scrutiny than it's getting. If the art world doesn't admit more of
this sort of deceptively casual-seeming work, the outside world will reject
more so-called art photography than it already does. That's a divide that
we don't need to reestablish and widen."

The Art Photography circa 2014 leave me cold.