Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 10/8/2014: Oh, Canada!
From: nwajsman at gmail.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:40:24 -0400

We spent yesterday on the Canadian side of the border, first taking in the
awesomeness that is Niagara Falls (despite local attempts to turn it into a
horrible Disneyland):
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3451580623&k=cX7jChW&lb=1&s=O

Then we drove the 15 km to Niagara-on-the-Lake and visited several of the
local wineries. The wine was surprisingly good; I knew that the whites would
be nice, and indeed there were several good Rieslings, and of course ice
wine (frost in December/January is pretty dependable in Canada?). But the
real surprise were the reds, some of which had the flavour, fruitiness and
structure to match what we drink in Spain, but with a unique character. And
finally, we came across the town?s lone crafts beer maker, Oast House
Brewers, where my wife took a picture of me holding a bottle I had fallen in
love with:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3451580961&k=BqdB7ff&lb=1&s=O

The only bad part about the trip was the one hour wait to cross back into
the US. For some weird reason, the level of interrogation (and hence the
time it takes to process each car) is much more extensive here than at the
airport; and we are talking here about a car with US license plates and with
four US citizens in it. I can only imagine what non-USians go through at
that border. In our case it was the Lewiston Bridge, but the Peace and
Rainbow Bridges were equally backed up.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman