Subject: [Leica] Wanted (maybe), Nikon F-mount teleconverter
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 17:00:03 -0700

I have an old Soligor 300mm f/5.5 which is actually very good at f/8 and
f/11.  It has the old "universal" T-mount with Nikon mount adapter.
Here's a 100% crop of a cell tower about 1/3 mile away. (E-30, 1/1000
sec, handheld with image stabilization).
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P3264119+1.jpg.html>

On 4/3 or micro 4/3, it gives me an effective 600mm.  I was thinking
that if I could get a teleconverter, I could get a little more reach. I
occasionally shoot the moon, or something distant on a tripod, but not
that often.  So this is just something to play with now and then, maybe
train on a bird feeder.  But not something I want to sink a lot of money
and effort into.

Vivitar 1.4x converters in manual focus Nikon F mount are $10 on E-pay.
2.x converters are a little more.  Genuine Nikon are $60-$100-ish.  No
OM mount adapter exists for this lens, or I wouldn't be asking this
question (I already have a 2x Vivitar converter in OM mount).

So, would getting a teleconverter for the Soligor would be worth it,
both in terms of price and image degradation?

--Peter