Subject: [Leica] Re; Great wines in NY.
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:14:11 -0400 (EDT)

I have been reluctant to send any recent pictures to the LUG because
they do not meet the usual standards of Luggers. In fact most of mine
would be indistinguishable from typical drugstore shots. It' requires
so little though to take pictures nowadays that it is almost a reflex
action. While Nathan was exploring the rundown towns in the Hudson
Valley I was in Connecticut watching my daughter run a triathlon. It
was the first athletic event she had competed in in 20 years and she
did herself proud, finishing second for all competitors. I just shows
what a long, long, long rest will do. Interestingly I was the only one
using a real camera amongst the spectators (except for the media
photographers). All the rest were using iPhones, iPods, and similar
gadgets. Not a single Leica to be seen.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Karen+finishes+triathelon.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Karen_+Ben_+Maggie.jpg.html

Now about the surprisingly good wines that Nathan encountered in New
York and Canada. Travel writers are fond of comparing the Hudson River
to Germany?s Rhine. Like its European counterpart the Hudson has
vineyards on either shore. The oldest commercial vineyards in the US
were established in the Hudson Valley during Colonial times. Old Norse
records show that Viking explorers roamed as far south as what is now
New York and the lower reaches of the Hudson. There is local myth that
the area might have been the Vinland of the Viking sagas. Wild grapes
grow plentifully on the river banks. Croton Point, about a 15 minute
bike ride from my house, was the site of the Underhill Winery, the
first commercial winery in the country. The ruins of the stone wine
cellars are visible on the south side of the point.

New York's wine region is on the same latitude as Europe's most
cherished vineyards. Climate and weather conditions vary greatly across
the state ranging from a marine climate in Long Island similar to that
of Provence, a Hudson Valley climate resembling that of the Rhine, and
the glacial lake climate of the Finger Lakes. This varied terroir
combined with an assortment of ideal grape growing microclimates has
produced a surprising number of prize-winning vintages. A century
before wines were planted in the Napa Valley, French settlers were
planting vines along the Hudson. Hudson Valley wines have ?outlasted
revolutions, wars, blights, bad weather and Prohibition.? Native
Anerican grapes are still being grown today for grape juice and Kosher
ceremonial wines.

Thanks to the efforts of Cornell University?s viniculture program and
independent researchers such as the late Dr. Konstantin Frank, vintners
were successful in making European grapes and hybrid French-American
varieties grow in the harsh lake effect snow winters of the Finger Lake
region and the shores of Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. The New York wine
industry now makes more varieties of wine than any other wine region in
the world. The red wines are good to excellent but New York vintners
excel in making white wines. Many New York wines have achieved
world-class status winning Gold and Double Gold medals in international
competition.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/NY+wine.jpg.html

So put that in your glass and drink it.

Larry Z