Subject: [Leica] Bokeh and Lenses
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 20:39:53 -0700

TINA MANELY OFFERED AFTER READING: Mike Johnson's BOKEH article:
>> He also comments that bokeh gets more problematic:

the larger the aperture
the closer the focus
the more distant the background
the more contrasty the background
No wonder I had problems.  My 3 photos included all of the problematic
possibilities!<<<<<
==============

Hi CREW & TINA,
So once again Mike and his bokeh assessments and spooky stories about this
lens phenomena raises it's so called ugly head and nearly everyone acquires
wet pants of panic over it! Get over it! Simply because if you know nothing
about it

"" It don't matter! "IT's THE CONTENT THAT COUNTS!!! HOWEVER IT MATTERS TO
THE OVER TECHIE PEOPLE!"" Good buddy Mike being one of them! :-)  Hi Mike!
;-)

OK here I go again.;-)
So please let me explain before some of you get wet pants ? ;-) I had been a
working well published and paid professional photographer for I suppose 30
years or more and never knew such a lens phenomena existed. Until one day
shortly after joining the LUG and Mike Johnson came on with his spooky
"bokeh -- BS!" Heck I had never read anything about this "HORRID LENS
EFFECT" let alone it even existed. So OK I had nearly always used LEICA
glass, whether it exists on LEICA lenses or not?  "PLEASE DON'T TELL IF IT
DOES, SIMPLY BECAUSE, "WHAT I DON'T KNOW ISN'T GOING TO HURT MY PICTURES!"
:-)

Besides it obviously wasn't a detrimental factor! As I was  being hired to
fly about the world on "paying published assignments!"NEVER A WORD FROM SOME
OF THE TOUGHEST-ASSED PHOTO EDITORS YOU NEVER WANT TO HAVE! KILLERS OF ONES
FEELINGS!
So when it came up on the LUG screen and I read about it, my immediate
re-action was "BUll-s-t!" STILL IS IN CAPITAL LETTERS!"

Because if it were such a horrid picture spoiling effect? I'd certainly have
been chastised to tears any number of times  in the past published 60 years!
But do you know what???? Not one peep about the "bokeh effect" in any of the
over 300,000 images in the National Archives collection!

OK folks, those who made it to the Leica Gallery New York? ........ "I
didn't hear any comments about the horrid evil "BOKEH FACTOR" in any of the
photos hanging on the walls?  Therefore? Is "BOKEH" as usual, just another
techie bit of jabber-whookie needlessly wasting our picture taking time
babbling about it? INSTEAD OF TAKING PICTURES?

OK folks, "have a go at the old LAD!" :-) Whatever you do say, truly isn't
going to change my mind about "THE BIG BAD BOOGIE BOKEHMAN!" :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted :-)the "big bad bokeh boogeyman":-)