Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Jalepeño Jelly + Pepper Grinder Mythology
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 18:43:18 +0200

Just found this on the Web.

"Modern Greek mythology tells us that the Atlas Pepper
Mill was invented as a portable coffee grinder for
soldiers in the Greek army about a century ago.
Whatever the origin, it's easy to see why this pepper
mill was named for Atlas who, in addition to being
considered very strong, was described as "hard and
enduring" by the Roman poet Virgil. The tall body of
the pepper mill might not hold the constellations on
its shoulders, but it does contain more than the
average amount of peppercorns. The hardened steel
cutting mechanism grinds rather than smashes the
pepper, which maximizes the flavor and allows for a
fresh peppery aroma. The spring and thumbscrew at the
base enables the type of grind to be adjusted from
coarse to medium to a fine shower. And at the top there
is an ergonomically sympathetic lever that engages the
arm muscles rather than the wrist, especially useful if
you are grinding coffee beans."