Subject: [Leica] IMG: Coyote
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:43:08 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Thanks all for your comments? and now for the rest of the story!

I visited the Yolo Bypass wildlife area today because I'd heard that a few
very cooperative Red-necked Phalaropes were present next to the auto tour
route.  This Phalarope is a small shorebird that I had ZERO pictures of!
While searching for the Phalaropes I spotted the coyote along the road so I
followed at a respectful distance not wanting to scare the song-dog away,
but not so far away that I'd lose track of him ('him' is correct, I checked
the photos) in the roadside weeds, meanwhile watching for the Phalaropes I'd
originally wanted to find.

The Coyote came upon a Northern Harrier
(http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/circus/noharr.html) that
had killed an American Coot
(http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/rallidae/amcoot.html) and had started
eating the Coot.  The coot is too heavy for the Harrier to carry the hawk's
choice was to abandon the meal instead of becoming one.

Meanwhile I had found the Phalaropes and I chose to stay with the Coyote
because the Phalaropes looked like they were as cooperative as I had heard
and I assumed I could go back to them.

The Coyote photo session ended after about an hour so I went back to the
Phalaropes and spent another hour or so with them:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/scolopacidae/phalaropus/rnphal00.html

(R8/DMR/280 APO/2x APO Extender/shoulder stock & monopod)

In all I spent 3 hours with the coyote and phalaropes; when time came to
leave I returned to the wildlife area's entrance to find the road had been
completely destroyed!  The City of Davis was rebuilding the road and in the
time I spent with the critters they'd closed the road and torn it up,
grinding down about a foot below grade!  The de/construction crew was very
apologetic and within an hour they'd filled the gully in enough that I could
get out.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com