Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Beauty of M9 colors at night (Bangkok portfolio)
From: mitcha at mac.com (mitcha at mac.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 07:40:30 +0200

Tina - the ?Shoot at ISO 640 and push in LR4/5? technique can also be used
with the M-Monochrom, except that it becomes ?Shoot at ISO 1250 and push in
LR4/5.? While the in-camera high-iSO capability of the M-Monochrom is better
than that of the M9 underexposing and then pushing in post has an advantage
with the M-Monochrom: while I have no problems shooting at ISO 3200 with the
M-Monochrom, by the time you shoot at ISOs as high as 4,000 or 5,000 the
dynamics range gets much narrower than at ISO 3200 or 1250 and getting the
exposure spot-on becomes important. However, when shooting at night, usually
in high-contrast lighting, getting the exposure can be difficult
particularly with 21mm and 28mm wide-angle lenses. For this reason, even
with the M-Monochrom, I find it better to use the technique under discussion.

I haven?t tried the M240, but you may want to look at Jim Kasson?s blog, to
which there is a link in the following long thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/292708-m9-colors-night-best-way-shoot.html

I linked this thread in an earlier reply to Richard Man. Jim has done a lot
of testing in confirming the validity of the M9 "?Shoot at ISO 640 and push
in LR4/5? technique.? Also, at the time of the above thread, Jim acquired an
M240 and did the same testing for the ?Shoot at ISO 1250 and push in LR4/5?
technique for the M240. As i recall, he found some initial problems in the
color reaction to this technique, but, as I don?t have an M240, I haven?t
followed this issue, so I don?t know whether he found a solution and what it
might be.

- - Mitch