Subject: [Leica] IMG: Trip out West -- B&W IMAGES???
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 14:03:44 -0700

Hi Chris,
A THOUGHT??????

What is interesting from the early 80's when colour was all the rage and ads
it seemed everywhere were colour-colour sickening colour?

Shortly after moving to VICTORIA mid-summer 1980 to Vancouver Island and
flying back and forth across Canada on an almost weekly basis; I noticed a
major changing occurring in advertisements in magazines?  The BIG NAMES in
whatever from undershorts to high end cars and fashions were beginning to
appear in????  "BLACK & WHITE ONLY!" "SUPER-EXPENSIVE LOOKING!"

And as the summer slowly went by riding back and forth flying east and west
week after week, the B&W ad pages were increasing generally in "BIG NAME AND
COSTLY GOODS OF ALL NATURE!"  Where earlier in the '70's it appeared
everything in the ads and a considerable amount of photojournalism photo
essays were being shot only in colour.

However??? Get on the plane, open magazine after magazine and "BLACK & WHITE
WAS RETURNING!" Slowly, but it did return and it appeared to become even
both sides,  "colour and B&W."

While doing some self-promoting in the potential markets of Vancouver, I had
several ad agency photo editors looking in my portfolio make a major bit of
fuss about "MY BEAUTIFUL B&W PHOTOS!" Not many, but eye stoppers printed
from LEICA exposed film! They were always printed 11X14 for show and tell,
with an occasional SHOW STOPPER in 16X20 Black & White.

And I did pick-up a number of B&W assignments for some of the tourist
magazines and a few others for ads. But then they levelled out in use as
time moved along.

So it wouldn't surprise me if we see say? MERCEDIES and a few other very
expensive car manufacturers return to the "expensive look captured in B&W
you don't seem to capture the same "expensive look in colour?" Clothing
manufacturers will follow as they did before along with the "super high
expensive goods of the elites!"

So maybe always knock off a couple super fantastic Black and White images
for use in a "SHOW & TELL" situation?

Why not? Nothing ventured?????????? WHATEVER! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)