Subject: [Leica] Do you remember why you joined the LUG?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:54:30 -0400

My first LUG post was Wed, Dec 2, 1998 I'd been on the list readout for a
few years and I'd print them and put them under my pillow. Sometimes read a
bit of it to get the vibe. But it mainly went over my head. Or under it in
this case. That's 15.8 years ago!
Earlier that year I subscripted to the Viewfinder and found that by doing so
id just joined the LHSA. The Leica Club. I'm not a joiner but I wanted to go
to Denver so we went to our first meeting. Tom A. was smoking a pipe outside
of a room with the door closed. I asked what was going on inside the room.
He said a LUG meeting. Then told what "LUG" meant. I took a peek inside it
was dark and boring but decided to join.
I'd got my M6  five years before. I had a 50, a 90 and a winder.
I'd gotten my into Leica the idea that I'd use it for my street photography
but after developing and printing my first roll and getting a 90mm lens I
put my Nikons in the closet and forgot which closet I put them in. I figured
once in a while I'd need a long telephoto or a macro. I never did.
Many people think a rangefinder like an m6 is not an obvious choice for
shooting studio strobes on a white backdrop. I loved it. Loved watching the
flash go off in the viewfinder and seeing the shot and seeing what was not
in the shot. I'd compose my shot not for what was in it but for what was not
in it. Soon I got a just out 135 3.4 Apo for head shots.