Subject: [Leica] Recommendations? I never want to buy another 50mm lens again as long as I live.
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the lug)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 15:18:28 -0400

Hi Folks ?

I have a lot of half-assed Leica lenses I?ve bought over the years for dumb
reasons and I want to stop this. I want to get rid of a lot of useless junk
(Oh f3.5 lens, why did I ever buy you?) and replace them with The Right
Lenses.

I have an M9, if that matters.

So far my (used) 50mm options seem to be:

Zeiss 50mm Planar f2 ? $860

Voigtlander M 50mm f 1.5 ? $900

Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 screwmount ? $550

Summilux f 1.4 ? $1300

Important to me: Focusing closer than 1 meter. Not terribly important to me:
super fast speed (because I can?t focus the 1.8 I have ? unless someone
wants to sell me a diopter). I?d just buy the screwmount Voigtlander, but
the close focusing is kind of wrecking that one. I think the summilux only
focuses to 1 meter too. which leaves the voigtlander M and the Zeiss ? it
seems the extra XYZ many stops might throw this to the voigtlander, but I?m
wondering if y?all have any advice (or a 50mm in a drawer that I should be
considering). I?m told the older 50mm Summicron?s, while affordable, aren?t
any better than the Canon Serenar I already have, and I?m not going to drop
$3,000 for a new version.

Thanks,

kc

Replies: Reply from topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Charlie Chan) ([Leica] Recommendations? I never want to buy another 50mm lens again as long as I live.)