Subject: [Leica] Cuba?
From: meino at innerside.demon.nl (Meino de Graaf)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 21:21:07 +0100

Hi Tina

Els and I traveled in 2010 for 4 weeks thru Cuba. We spend 5 days in
Havana (Hotel Inglaterra) and for the rest of the trip we had a small
rental car that was picked up in Havana and dropped of at Holguin
(airport). My experience was that driving around Cuba was very safe
because there is very little traffic. Although you have to be constant
on the watch for potholes. Our trip was Havana, Pinar del Rio, Soroa,
Guama (Bay of Pigs), Cienfuegos, Trinidad, Camague, Bayamo, Santiago de
Cuba, Baracoa, Caya Saetia, Holguin. Most of the hotels and the rental
car where booked here in the Netherlands by a regular travel
organization as a Fly-Drive arrangement. For a number of places (Guama &
Soroa) I booked directly via Internet on a Spanish booking site.

I'm not sure how the situation is at this moment, but in 2010 you
couldn't use any form of electronic payment system (no credit cards, no
ATM's and no traveler checks), so you had to carry all needed funds in
dollars and change these at your hotel in CUC's.
Further because we weren't on a package tour we had to find eating
places on our own. Finding was not the biggest problem, but most of the
times there was very little available. Also the quality of the food in
the restaurants of some hotels was very poor. This was not an issue in
Old Havana and in touristic places like Trinidad.
A problem we faced was that both of us don't speak Spanish, which was
not an issue in most of the hotels, but elsewhere we encountered very
little English speaking people.

regards
Meino

Replies: Reply from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Cuba?)