Subject: [Leica] Self Publishing (was re: The Yearbook)
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the lug)
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 22:11:41 -0500

One of the advantages of self publishing is that you never get turned down.
This is LEGITIMATE. As someone who?s self-published some things and
traditionally published others, I can swear that it?s one actual advantage.
But there are also disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is that volume
provides discounts. Oh well. If we sent the LUG yearbook to TASCHEN they?d
throw it in the waste paper basket and most likely not even bother to write
us a rejection letter. If we publish it ourselves, we get the opportunity to
put one on our shelves, show it to our friends and think fondly back to the
year in photography. We?re not paying for A BOOK ? we?re paying for OUR
BOOK. The distinction is real and the LUG yearbook can?t be compared to some
volume printed in the thousands or tends of thousands of copies. As the
years pass, the cost of it will fade from memory; like many things that are
durable. Was your washing machine $120 more than another one you considered?
Who remembers now?

If you want to see your photos and those of your friends, buy it. there are,
literally, seriously, actually, Leica LENS CAPS that cost more than this. If
you don?t want to see your photos on a printed page buy a Mary Ellen Mark
book for $30 and enjoy it and don?t sweat the loss of the paper product.

That?s my two cents.

kyle

Replies: Reply from robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron) ([Leica] Self Publishing (was re: The Yearbook))