Subject: [Leica] OT: Lightroom Workflow Help
From: Clive at moss.net (Clive Moss)
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 14:28:31 +0000

Try this, the kosher approach.:
1) Import your images into the desktop Lightroom catalog.
2) Flag, etc, as needed.
3) Export as catalog from the desktop and move the exported catalog, (the
whole new folder that is created) to your laptop
4) Process on laptop
5) On the desktop, File>Import from Another Catalog and select the the
laptop catalog. You get an option box with choices regarding what to do
with new Photos (which should only appear if you round trip to Photoshop or
Nik or whatever) and what to do with changed existing photographs. You can
choose to replace metadata and develop settings only, or do nothing, or
replace everything. You can also preserve your old settings as a virtual
copy.

I always have "Automatically write changes into XMP" checked.

If you move the actual image folder using the finder instead of Lightroom
you can cause complications. If you really want to do that, you can move
(not copy) the image folders to the laptop work on them there, and then
move them back to the desktop. DO NOT IMPORT THEM TO LiGHTROOM. When you
open Lightroom, if you moved them to exactly the same location, they will
be there. If you moved them to a different location or changed the folder
name, you will need to go right click on the folder name in Lightroom, and
go the "Find Missing Folder" routine.

Hope this is clear and that it helps.

--
Clive