Subject: [Leica] Highly Intelligent Crop Factor Overview
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 03:13:49 -0500

One odd thing I love about an "A" setting is that instead of you setting the
shutter speed to say 125th of a second putting it on an A setting will give
you  exactly 126th or 127th of a second if that's what its reading without
you even thinking about it. The precision of that I think is pretty cool.
Its not dumbly rounding things off.

But I do think that the same dilettante mindset which thinks that pro's dumb
down their cameras to full manual instead of using any of their KISS auto
features is the same mindset which thinks it doesn't matter which format you
use. And I think anybody who's worked with 4x5 sheet film knows how the
clarity of that stuff blows roll film right out of the water. If you can get
a really good shot with only a few tries.

Four 4x5's makes an 8x10 contact sheet.
12 shots from a Rolleiflex with 120 film makes an 8x10 contact sheet.
36 from 35mm.

In the end people got by with a bit less clarity became they liked more
changes at getting their shot. More to choose from. And more cost effective
(cheaper).