Subject: [Leica] The myths of crop factor
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 19:19:00 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>People always spoke of the sanctity of never cropping their pictures. People
>in Magnum even did that. But I suspect it was all about the precious thin
>black borders. A print in the stack with no black border stood out as weak.

That was when using film.  The idea was to make the best use of a limited
image capture surface because image detail would be overshadowed by grain
when enlarged too much.

The 'rules' have changed in the last ten to fifteen years.  Image detail can
still be overshadowed by digital noise but the degree of enlargement to
reach that point is much greater than with film so the 'no cropping' rule
may be ignored more often.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com