Subject: [Leica] Olympus 4/3 (previously crop factor)
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 13:20:47 -0500

 Dennis writes:
"On the technical side, Olympus 4/3rds lenses were designed with
the exit rays parallel to the sensor. ?Bought the Olympus E-330 in
May 2006 when released. The E-330. I think,was also the first body
with self cleaning sensor. Still working today. Always wondered if
the matched digital lenses picked up on exit rays design. No need
for micro lenses on outer edges of sensor. Olympus stopped advertising
this soon after they first released. Think the Panasonic & Leica had
conventional lenses with 4/3rds mount. Any thoughts on this?"
- - - -?
On the technical side Olympus was right. The sensor has no need for
microlenses but it means that the lenses are physically larger than they
need be. Successive generations of micro 4/3 lenses have abandoned that
concept. I have one of the Olympus fixed focus 15mm body cap lenses where
the full f8 aperture is the size of a sesame seed. It takes adequate
pictures and is always ready but it has the effect of converting your camera
into the equivalent of a Box Brownie. Although for simple snapshots, that
ain't bad.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Olympus 4/3 (previously crop factor))