Subject: [Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: Shakespear of Arabia
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 20:29:31 -0500

Douglas,

I haven?t read Barr?s book, but I?ve studied Sykes-Picot. That, and the
Balfour Declaration (the promise to give Palestine to the Jews), are still
haunting us nearly a century later. For the other list members,
Sykes-Picot was the agreement between Britain and France to divide up the
Arab provinces of the Turkish Empire during World War I. France got Syria
and Lebanon, and Britain got Palestine (later divided into Jordan and
Israel) and Iraq.

The British had promised the Arabs that they could have all of these
provinces as an independent Arab state after the war, then betrayed them
by giving Syria and Lebanon to France and promising western Palestine to
European Jews. The Arabs and Jews were both angered by these contradictory
promises, and the British decided to walk away and let the Arabs and Jews
fight it out. They?re still fighting.

The media in the US often portrays the conflict between the Jews and Arabs
as intractable because ?Those people have been killing each other since
the beginning of time.? That?s completely false. Jews and Arabs (and other
Muslims) lived together peacefully until after WWI.

Another good book on this is ?The Peace to End All Peace? by David Fromkin.
http://www.amazon.com/Peace-End-All-Ottoman-Creation-ebook/dp/B003X27L7C/

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography