Subject: [Leica] Photographing Othello -- is this a trap? (warning: contains images)
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the LUG)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:55:47 -0500

Leica M9, 35mm Summilux

http://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/805499.html

So ... how do you do a poster for Othello? There have been posters for
Othello for four hundred years. After Curio Theatre asked me to work on this
I looked at a lot of them. Most of the contemporary posters for the play
feature some aspect of Othello strangling Desdemona (spoilers, it happens)
-- lots of hands on throats. And the way I look at it, Othello can either be
a play about Othello, or it can be a play about Iago, but it's never a play
about Desdemona -- though she always gets a lot of face time on the posters.
It worried me going in that I might fall into a visual rut, so I was
actually a bit relieved when the scheduling wouldn't allow Desdemona to be
there for the shoot (I had to do it late at night).

I wanted to focus on, two things, one the military aspect and two the part
of the play that exists before everything blows up, the very beginning when
two warriors return from battle and I imagined going in "what if I was some
photographer sent out to do a hero magazine cover for two dudes who just
beat the Turkish navy? I wouldn't know the backstory, I wouldn't know that
Iago's got all this plotting going on that he's just been passed over for
promotion, I'd just be like "stand here and look heroic" and then it's up to
the actor (in this case the very capable Brian McCaann, to tell the
subtitles of his character through his body language -- so you learn who
Iago is through Brian's complex subtitles, and you learn who Othello is by
Steve Wright's body language and how he decides what Othello would do and
not through me going "alright, let's strangle someone?.

Kyle

Replies: Reply from topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Charlie Chan) ([Leica] Photographing Othello -- is this a trap? (warning: contains images))