Subject: [Leica] Leica blocking 3rd party batteries in firmware?
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the lug)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 10:19:04 -0500

Howdy folks ?

I?ve been using 3rd party batteries in all of my cameras since
Australopithecus started banging rocks together -- in Panasonics, Nikons,
and various Leica?s with no problem. In fact, I?ve often wondered if workers
from the OEM shop sneak back in at night and continue production without
labeling them.

I recently got four off-brand M9 batteries (from two different retailers)
and notice a curious behavior ? when they?re fully charged often the camera
will give a ?battery low? warning and shut down ? however voltage meter
shows the batteries are fully charged. I?m wondering if Leica has possibly
chipped it's batteries and instructed the camera not to work with 3rd party
batteries (in the same way that the Keuring coffee-machines recognize
imposter K-Cups and refuse to work with them.) I can think of several
possible reasons for this, but chipping the batteries I think is the most
likely. Another option is that only 3rd party manufacturers who make
batteries for Leica cameras are hucksters, but it seems less likely.

Any thoughts on this? $130 for a battery is $120 that I could use toward a
plane ticket to photograph something with a battery that?s worth $10.

Kyle

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Leica blocking 3rd party batteries in firmware?)
Reply from j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz) ([Leica] Leica blocking 3rd party batteries in firmware?)