Subject: [Leica] IMG: Moonrise from the Space Needle
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 00:31:05 -0800

I found a way to do better.
<
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/15876024034/in/photostream/lightbox/

I had bracketed my exposures. The original image I posted indeed had the
core of the red tail lights blown. So was part of the moon. BUT... I had
another image taken a couple of minutes later at about 2.5 stops less
exposure. Here, a typical tail light ranged from about RBG = 255,160,80, to
192,79,61.  But even so, the red tail lights still came up as white when I
"developed" the image to a JPG with a width of 1200 pixels in Capture One.

But when I exported that same image to a 16-bit TIF, and then downsized it
in Picture Window Pro, things got much better. Sidways-viewed tail lights
on the freeway were red. Tail lights pointing at the camera on the entrance
ramp were orangy-pinkish, so they looked OK. And the moon is better in this
picture.

This is more like it, it looks like what I remember seeing.

The RAW development algorithm and the resizing algorithm are both "black
boxes." By using a different program to resize the image, I found a better
black box for this situation. What does a program actually do when it has
to mash four pixels down to one? Capture One (algorithm unknown) seems to
emphasize the brightest pixel in the bunch. Picture Window Pro defaults to
a Bicubic algorithm, which seems to weigh the darker pixels more, and I end
up with something that looks like a bright tail light instead of a white
pinpoint. Me happy.

--Peter