Subject: [Leica] IMG: Performance Artist, NYC, 2012
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Lykes Keenan)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:02:29 -0600

>Hi David Please explain the off balance composition? Why not have the
>"climber almost full face into camera grimacing in pain  and effort?
>
>Just a passing thought?
>Thanks for your explanation

Ted --

As I'm sure you can understand, I don't plan most of my photographs. I
photograph things that happen in front of my camera as they happen.

The "climber" is actually a street performer doing his silly thing in
Washington Sq Park, he was always moving and entirely unpredictable. I'm
sure that you noticed that I really missed the focus a little bit, his face
is not as sharp as I'd like it to have been.

All of that aside, I like the "unconventional" framing and the resulting
suggestion of activity and frenzy. I don't think a more static photograph
would have been nearly as interesting.

I welcome your thoughts in response.
.
Dave.