Subject: [Leica] Leica is now selling pre-brassed cameras so every couch potato can look like a badass journalist
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 19:05:22 -0500

At a LHSA meeting in Boston in October 2000 the guest slide shower was a
well known Leica Expert Jonathan Eastland the guy who wrote the Leica
Compendiums for both the M and R systems and expert Nautical photographer
and writer of all kinds of photo books with his pix in them.

A guy came up to a bunch of us sitting in the lobby of the hotel in front of
the fire and showed us his wonderfully brassed Leica M, maybe it was an M2.
We all oohed and ahed Eastland asked to take a look at it. He turned it over
in his hands and rather politely asked if he'd green clothed it. The fellow
sheepishly nodded that he had. First I'd heard of it. People attacking their
cameras with that 3M abrasive green cloth that that guy who invented  it won
the Nobel Prize for physics inventing.
We never saw the guy again.
It seems in some cases a brassy look can actually INCREASE a value of a
camera body.
Plus it gives the idea that you might actually USE the camera.
Then you have to hire a person to shoot and print a bunch of pix for you
that you can carry around in your side bag and show people.