Subject: [Leica] what the heck is going on with this vintage Leica lens?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 19:46:01 -0500

They used to always say old Leica glass was good as long as you stuck to
black and white which is probably what you're doing anyway and I never could
wrap my head around that. But I think what they were thinking was that if
you were shooting black and white and the thing was lacking contrast you
could just use a higher paper grade till it looked well enough.
As slides were always a problem of too much contrast I'd think you could
have just gone that route as well.
Yet they do talk about the coatings having something to do with color.
Nowadays you just go into levels and make the thing look good with the
histogram cueing you from the background and unsharp the hell out of it if
need be. And you can level each channel individually.

My first 90 a tele Elmarit looked clean but delivered no contrast.
It was mud I tell you!
Was almost impossible to print in the darkroom but I should think would not
present a problem in digital with all our controls in Photoshop or perhaps
Lightroom.

On 3/1/15 12:20 PM, "Christopher Williams" <zoeica at mac.com> wrote:

> Just the old coating. Shows through more on digital over film. While my old
> 50/3.5 Uncoated Elmar was ok on the M8, if I don't use a good with it on
> the
> M9 it looks like an iPhone 3 image.

Chris
> Williams