Subject: [Leica] ***SPAM*** IMG: Dawn Memories
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:46:36 -0400

Tina,

I am jumping into this thread late as I sit in the lunch room finishing my
lunch on a snowy, cold, wet March afternoon. Sorting and editing 16,000
photographs is a Herculean task. Clearly daunting. I think that it is
perfectly reasonable to need some support with a job that size. I certainly
would. I agree with you. The LUG is a very good place to look for support.
Not only is it a family in its own way whose members really do care about
each other but it is a group of very experienced photographers even if some
of us don't exactly shoot in the same league as you and Ted.

Please do not stop posting. That will not help you get through your project
and it would make our lives poorer. I think we should ask how we can support
you? It's perfectly true that you are going to edit your way through this
one photograph at a time.  And perhaps the best way for people to support
you is one photograph at a time. But, there is a trap. Photography is, at
least in part, an art. Sometimes talking about a picture involves asking
questions which really do not have easy or simple answers. What is too red
for you might be just right for another viewer. Please do not let your ego
get involved on that level. It is going to cause you too much pointless and
useless pain if you let your self worth as a photographer or worse as a
human being be determined by what red means in a photograph. That ties
something important, you, to something indeterminate, namely taste.

What are your goals? What is the end point of this project? How many
finished photographs do you want to produce? I can understand understand you
sitting in front of your monitor crying. It's an overwhelming project, but
it is also a very sad image for me.

Would some support and ideas about handling a project of this size help? I
do not know how you approach your editing, but here is what I would be
tempted to do. I would go through all 16,000 photos and select a core of
them, say a thousand but who knows if them to work on. I would then focus on
that. And, I would do so in a way which kept the perfect from being the
enemy of the good. A home who tries to prefect even pixel in 16,000 shots is
going to end up in the looney bin.

Barney

Barney Quinn, WK3Z
C: (301) 775-1386