Subject: [Leica] Too many or too few pictures.
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 17:07:12 -0400

 When I started newspaper work in 1948 I was handed a 4x5 Speed Graphic and
six film holders. The photo editor felt?that was more than enough for any
assignment. It was frowned on to use more than three holders, i.e. six
shots. Any more would put an intolerable load on processing and editing. I
was told to previsualize and edit in my mind.

I counted a number of magazine photographers amongst my mentors. They used
Rolliflexes, not because they could get better quality out of the small 6x6
cm negative but because they could squeeze 12 shots on a roll of 120 film.
Leicas were around, of course, but to the best of my knowledge no Boston
newspaper published a photo taken with one until the mid 50s. And those were
photos taken during the Korean war.

Being a professional is not a matter of quality. Many amateur Luggers take
pictures as good as those that call themselves professionals. The advantage
in not being professional is that you don't have to make a living out of
your craft. I.e. you don't have to cover your ass. If you take pictures for
your own pleasure you can march to your own drummer. You need not bow to the
demands of the buyer.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce) ([Leica] Too many or too few pictures.)