Subject: [Leica] Is photography art?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 15:59:34 -0400

Doing an "edition" is foreign to photography as the negative was good for
unlimited prints as certainly would be a digital file. Any other graphics
printmaking process had a limited run by nature of its materials. This is
not photography's nature. And it turns out the gallery people find that
decidedly bad for business.
This was a controversy decades back and most of the key people I admired
considered destroying ones neg after a run to bring the prices up be an
abomination. A very few did it. But now decades later its caught on.
Now I'm noticing as I go to galleries during the year and the big AIPAD show
with a hundred photo galleries from all over the world once a year that this
kind of stuff is coming back. A print will have a number 6/14. The sixed
print out of a run of 14.
Wow that bums me out!
What the insurance companies did to the practice of medicine the gallery
owners are doing to photography. Corrupting it. Turning it into a crass
joke.