Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 22:55:08 -0400

I used to have one. It has neat bokeh, but it has several issues that made
me leave it at home in favor of a 50 Summicron most of the time.

The Sonnar has serious focus shift. That means if you focus so that your
camera?s rangefinder shows proper focus, the actual focus point may not
match the RF at some apertures. Some of them were calibrated to be
accurate at f2.8, as was mine. Used wide open, it front focuses several
inches. Others were calibrated for f1.5, and used at smaller apertures it
back focuses. Stop down a lot, and this isn?t an issue because of depth of
field.

I like a lens that ?just works? at al apertures. The Summicron does that,
the Sonnar does not.

The other issue is even stopped down, the Sonnar is not sharp at the
edges. In the center it is very sharp. The Summicron I had was uniformly
sharp across the whole image. It was just a better lens for my work.

The Sonnar is cool for some things, like portraits, as long as you?re
aware of the focus issues. The focus shift is NOT an internet rumor, it is
real. I tested mine and it is VERY real. If you can deal with that and can
afford to buy a lens you will not use for most things, then get one.

I sold mine after I realized that in three years, I had used it just four
times aside from testing it for focus accuracy. I couldn?t afford to keep
a lens that I never use.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography