Subject: [Leica] More about art
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 13:08:30 -0400

        I know you are sick about hearing me rant about art but I just had
to get this off my chest.

        I was asked by the editor of the Poughkeepsie newspaper to write a
review of a modern art show at the Garrison Gallery featuring small images
suitable for hanging on a living room wall. This is an important venue. The
annual International Photocentric show is held in this gallery. The big
prizes attract photographers from all over the world.
        For once words failed me. For those of you that have been members of
the LUG for a decade can appreciate that this is a rare occurrence. Forget
impressionism, expressionism. colorism, and all the other neo-isms of recent
art, this was the least artistic show that I have ever seen. There was not a
single painting that I would deign to put on my wall. And I'm pretty liberal
about what I consider art. The featured work was a 20 inch square painting
of solid black mounted on foam board in a 26 inch square frame. The price
was $7500. To make matters worse there was an almost identical painting by
another artist priced at a mere $7000. Another nearby painting was a
featureless cream white rectangle.
        I shudder to think what the Photocentric show will look like if the
same jurors select the photographs.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Garrison+Art.jpg.html
        For those of you unfamiliar with Garrison, it is a small affluent
town on the banks of the Hudson River about 60 miles upstream of NYC, just
opposite of West Point. The buildings haven't changed for over 100 years. It
is the place where the exterior scenes of "Hello Dolly" were filmed.
        Larry Z

Replies: Reply from george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] More about art)
Reply from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] More about art)