Subject: [Leica] Sale on Lightroom
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 10:33:47 -0700

To get an upgrade version, apparently, you need to order from Adobe directly.

To do THAT, you need to first get to the order page for LR6.  When you see
the price page, you need to toggle a little switch somewhere that THEN and
only THEN gives the choice of the version update ($79) in lieu of the fresh
version ($149).

They made the ordering of the cheaper upgrade version really difficult to
find....

The old school wisdom was that IBM was Big Brother... The new school wisdom
is that IBM have been replaced......

I finally bought into the CC thing... B+H has a (now) 24 hour special at $99
for a year for PS and LR.  Since I was going to upgrade LR from V4 to V6, it
was only a $20 cost to get both running with the newest upgrades and try it
all out....

I am still suspicious about Adobe jacking up the price.  Or what happens if
and when I do decide to no longer use the CC version... are my image files
still useable? Can I still modify them with my old copy of LR or PS?  What
about new features I used in PS/LR to edit an image... are the changes made
still available to modify?

 Subscription SW was a 1960's reality.... The PC world broke through all of
that.  Why go backwards?

I certainly hope I do not regret this move......

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net
Lightroom 6 has been released, and for those who are interested there is a
sale on the subscription versions today and tomorrow at B&H.  One year for
price of 10 months.

The subscription version is now called Lightroom CC, and comes packaged with
Photoshop CC in the  Photographer s Package.

The standalone version is called Lightroom 6.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Lightroom CC.  For example, I
thought that part of the program ran through a browser, and that it was
necessary to be connected to the Internet.

What actually happens is quite different.  Full copies of Lightroom and
Photoshop are downloaded.  You do all your work off-line. Depending upon
your plan and how often you want to check for updates, once every one to
three months you  phone home  (maybe at a Starbuck s) and in a few seconds
(to a few minutes for an update) you are goo to go.

Robert Rose
robert.rose at mac.com <mailto:robert.rose at mac.com> www.robertrose.photos
<http://www.robertrose.photos/>