Subject: [Leica] Sad news
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 22:41:00 -0700

Douglas Barry OFFERED:
<<<<<<<<<<< Some of you commented in the past on the people in my motor
racing pictures,
as I go to a couple of hill climbs each year with a friend of mine who races

in them. I used to be more heavily involved with motorsport years ago, and
still have an interest. It's a very informal and close knit community and
everybody knows each other and helps each other out. Unfortunately, we had
some really very sad news today as one of the drivers in the Irish Hill
Climb Championship Simon McKinley was killed in a crash today down in Co.
Clare.<<<<<<<

Hello Douglas,
My humblest condolences regarding the death of Simon McKinley during a
racing car mishap today.

When I read of a mishap such as this in taking a life, I realize just how
fortunate I am being alive after several crash and wrecks during my car
racing days many many years ago as a young man. Both in Stock cars and
Sprint cars, the more dangerous.

As fantastic as the years and race track excitements were both on asphalt
and dirt tracks, the elements of death were always riding on our shoulders.
My dearest Irene never went to any of the races as she couldn't cope with
the potential each time the "Green Flag or light" flashed to put one's foot
"pedal to the metal."

Yes it was a time!

regards,
Dr. ted

Simon who was a multitimes champion is here seen descending after a run. My
friend Brendan is just behind him.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Sport/Motorsport/2012/Indq.jpg.
html

This is picture of Deirdre his wife and their young son. Absolutely tragic.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Sport/Motorsport/2014/Naul2014_
LittlePitBoss_b.jpg.html

Brendan and I were also going to go to the hillclimb as he intended giving
his own new car an outing, but he couldn't due to recent unexpected medical
treatment. The course is extremely demanding, bumpy, and dangerous, as
indeed many Irish courses are now as the wider busier better surfaced roads
are being made unavailable due to heavy traffic and can't be closed.

Here is a Youtube video of Simon driving in his Lant at the Naul in 2013
which gives an idea of the speed and danger which is always present. Sadly,
he is now lost to us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJVi3LBSrU

RIP

Douglas