Subject: [Leica] IMGS: More Wales
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 01:37:28 -0400

The Academy award for Best Black-and-White Cinematography went to Arthur C.
Miller for the 1941 film " How Green Was My Valley". directed by John Ford
from a novel about coal mining in Wales.  It won nine other Academy awards
including best picture, director and actor.
I read a big thing on it in a " Cinematographers on Cinematography " book
and the black he got in the print of the film was a source of amazement to
them all. Just like in paper print making Cinematographers talk a lot on the
blacks they get in their prints which you see on the screen. Its always what
you don't think.
This all made a big impression on me when I read it in my young teens.
Later on I found out that my moms dads name was not English but Welsh.
So I should look into my Welsh ancestry and Welsh culture.
Problem was in Powel's bookstore there are two thousand books on Ireland one
thousand on Scotland and about twenty on Wales which you have to stand on a
stool they provide to grab ahold of one of them.
But that was before the internet.
But my point is ironically when I thought "coal mines" about how Wales might
look I thought about rich blacks. Ironically from a film  "How Green Was My
Valley". Which they were going to shoot in Technicolor but they ran out of
money. Which may have worked in their favor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Green_Was_My_Valley_(film)