Subject: [Leica] Be a photographer
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 09:55:03 -0400

This Kim guy is a mixed bag because here he says a bunch of very nice stuff
here on this one but in  the past week or so when I Bing/Google anything
resembling street photography his is the first thing to come up talking
about he or she is the quintessential street photographer people who never
heard the term before I'm sure and could care less.   He's been a leading
proponent of this whole street photography BS thing. Its his favorite word.
But maybe he's turning over a new leaf.

Me I'm not against labels or all labels. I'm against new labels which
redundantly and sillily replace old very doable labels unnecessarily and
turn the whole thing into a cute trendy wink wink thing.
 - Called I just found out: Neologisms*. Especially when they are vague as
in this case (street) so as to become meaningless.
It should seem obvious if you are doing the human condition in the cities
and towns or if you are a tidepool guy ala Weston you get a different color
name tag. Reportage or landscape. Tidepoolscape. f64 and be there scape.
Reportage is Documentary. Photojouriiism. But not the Lomo set loves this
new term "street".

People are loving putting out stuff on the internet which they hope will
catch on. It must be a great head rush to feel like you've altered the
current trendy vocabulary seeing people use a word which you got going and
made happen.

Me I take this whole photography thing very seriously as its way more fun
that way just like any avocation or vocation where you are aware of the
history of how things went down and where you'd like to fit in on it in your
own work.
I do think its way less fun to not be informed on the various approaches to
the craft and the people who were involved in it in that manner.
People have fewer precious hours to do their fun stuff when they get off
work so they have to make every minute count.

*Neologisms:
" Please give me a strong incentive to keep reading your blog by avoiding
the use of this awful neologism.
Five long lectures full of numbingly dense, abstraction-and- neologism
-riddled prose await the reader." the internet.

" A neologism ... "speech, utterance") is the name for a newly coined term,
word, or phrase that may be in the process of entering common use, but that
has not yet been accepted into mainstream language.[1][2] Neologisms are
often directly attributable to a specific person, publication, period, or
event. Neolexia ("new word", or the act of creating a new word) is a
synonym."

Know your history:
People: HCB, DDD, LBJ.
Schools of approach: (Pictorialism) when fuzz tone ruled.
Some dates: Tri X 1954, KODACHROME 1935.