Subject: [Leica] Bat Bending Strength: The Ted Gran Effect? - JIM
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 11:11:24 -0700

You are overthinking the solution.

A vertically moving shutter, at 1/1800 ( usually this starts around 1/125 of
a second, depending on the camera) of a second uses a SLIT to allow light to
reach the "film".  So the bottom of the film and the top are actually
exposed at different times.

Marry that fact with a fast horizontally moving subject, and you get
ovalized race car wheels, elongated race cars with funny angles in them, and
baseball bats that bend.

In the past, with horizontally moving shutters ( Film Leicas for example)
the effect was quite common and exciting.

I guess the "Kids" around here have never photos from the 30's and before (
think Speed Graphics, which did have a vertically moving slit shutter) with
the same effect.

Nothing is really new, just new to the beholder.

Frank Filippone, showing his age.....
Red735i at verizon.net

Bob's X-T1 has a dual shutter, or two shutters if you prefer, Jim.

The e-shutter captures light scanning as an old TV set created an image -
which leaves time for a fast movement to trigger the effect.
It is the one shutter that is used when shooting in silent mode. Hence my
question.
The phenomenon may also happen when the e-shutter supersedes the mechanical
one i.e. for speeds above 1/4000 if I remeber well.

The rest is chronophotography.

Amities
Ph

Le 10 mai 2015 ? 18:18, Jim Nichols <jhnichols at lighttube.net> a ?crit :

> Ha!  No electronics involved in that one.  I was thinking of those images
as well.  The Leica handbooks of the 1950s, which I have somewhere, use a
similar image to demonstrate what can happen as the horizontally-traveling
slit passes across the film opening, recording a moving wheel-type image.
All purely mechanical.