Subject: [Leica] So much for "film is forever"..
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 12:03:36 -0400

Film is for sure is not forever I don't see the point in putting that out as
a thread title.. It starts fading and giving off gases the second they
finish making it. Processing the film or paper does not help the matter
probably makes it worse. Every second a negative or print exists is one less
second its going to. Just like people or cats.
A reason to go with digital instead of film if you needed a reason is
because the zeros and ones stay zeros and ones. They don't change to .01's
and .9's.
I have thirteen years worth of digital files which as just as viable as the
day they were made. They've not faded they've not obsoleted themselves in
some odd way.
If you try to print a color neg a month later certainly a year to match and
existing print you're in for a rude shock. I'm glad those days are over.

Just keep backing up those hard drives. Keep them in a moist damp place.